So maybe you’ve been expecting a new post for a couple days now… culture conditions us to move quickly from one question to the next/from one topic of learning to the next/from one television show to the next/from one novel to the next.
I found myself still wrestling with the questions that I posed last week. Yesterday/today/tomorrow I am at a monastery… where the pace of life is slower… where prayer is revered for the life-changing experience it should be… where questions get wrestled to the ground and sat on until a reasonable half-answer leads to the next question. There is always a next question… usually one that takes you deeper into the heart of the original question. That’s where I am today.
So I need to stay with these a little longer:
- What are you spending and being spent for?
- What commands and receives your best time and your best energy?
- What causes/dreams/goals or institutions are you pouring out your life for?
- I hope you’ll stick around too…
- the sifting pan is full of gravel and water.
- We need to shake it a bit.